Deric's MindBlog, which began in Feb. 2006, reports on new ideas and work on mind,
brain, and behavior, as well as random curious stuff.
- Upstairs/Downstairs in our brain - Who (or what) is running our show? - Lecture notes for Jan, 2019 talk to Univ. of Texas OLLI (Osher Lifelong Learning Institute) NOVA group.
- How much can we change our aging? Lecture to senior group, Jan. 2018
- Upstairs/Downstairs in our Brain – What’s running our show? - Univ. Wisc. Chaos Seminar Series, Sept, 2014
- Making our Brains Younger - lecture to senior group, Feb., 2014
- Are you holding your breath? - Structures of arousal and calm - Univ. Wisc. Chaos Seminar Series, May, 2012
- Making Minds - Evolving and Constructing the "I" - Univ. Wisc. Evolution Seminar Series, April 28, 2011
Mind Lectures, Writings, and podcasts. "The I Illusion" and "The Beast Within" have been two of the most popular ones.
Biology of Mind Book
Developed from an interdisciplinary course I developed in the 1990s, as I was in a career transition from studying vision to studying the evolution, development, and structures of our minds. This link gives you a full web version of that book published in 1999, with complete
references not included in the hard copy version (which can be purchased from either Amazon or John
Wiley & Sons.)
Music House concerts and public piano performances.
Me This section contains personal history, and ancestors and family history. The
first 35 years of my professional life was devoted to
laboratory studies of visual transduction in rod photoreceptor cells. I prepared this graphic social and scientific history of the Bownds Laboratory for a laboratory reunion over the last weekend of May 2012, on the occasion of my 70th birthday. Pictures of the reunion can be found here and of a Social/Musical held at my Madison Twin Valley home here. This talk describing the contributions of my laboratory (from 1968 to 1998) to understanding how light changes into a nerve signal in our eyes was given on May 14, 2013 to the McPherson Eye Research Institute seminar at the University of Wisconsin, . This personal biography was written in the summer of 2012 and is occasionally updated. After a 12 year period of being a snowbird between Madison, WI (June-August) and Fort Lauderdale FL (Sept-May), the winter destination has now (as of September, 2017) become Austin Texas, where I recently moved back into the family house in which I grew up as a child.